Skip to main content

Beer #33 - St. George India Pale Ale

Style: English IPA
Purchased at: St. George Brewery by DJ & Liz
What makes this beer different: It's drinkability

Will I be drinking this again: Definitely
Grade: A-



Comments:
I typically prefer a nice bold/spicy American IPA, so I naturally thought I would feel unmoved by this English IPA. Spoiler alert - I was anything but right! This brew exhibits a beautiful copper shade with perfect lacing, delicious english hops, and an overall well balanced malt based recipe. This beer does have moderate carbonation, so make sure you don't let it sit around and linger for long as it will undoubtedly lose its full flavor impact. 


I will definitely be drinking this brew again, so thanks to Liz and DJ for this find!


Recommendations:
This beer pairs well with spicy foods. Period. That being said, I would prescribe a nice bowl of steamed mussels with a white wine reduction sauce including shallots, sea salt, fresh ground peppercorn, italian parsley, tarragon, sauvignon blanc white wine, and some fresh bread with some olive oil or EVOO. Cheers!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beer #23 - McSorley's Irish Pale Ale

Style: Irish Ale Purchased at: Vintage Cellar What makes this beer different: Spicy, Earthy flavor! Will I be drinking this again: Yes. Grade: B+ Recommendations: Just like its big brother, the black lager, this pale ale is a winner! Smooth & crisp tones accent this hoppy ale. McSorley's Pale Ale is a mix between an English Ale and an Irish Red Ale. Word to the wise: You will find this brew quite drinkable, so don't lose track of how many you put back! Recommendations: Try pairing with a nice cut of prime rib and garlic mashed potatoes :) YUM

Beer #14 - Bear Republic Racer 5 India Pale Ale

Style: American IPA Purchased at: Vintage Cellar What makes this beer different: Strong citrusy hops. Will I be drinking this again: Possibly, but will not go out of my way to get it. Grade: B- Comments: A very citrusy hop can be detected in this beer along with a decent amount of carbonation. That being said, there is a very weak head on this beer which confuses me a little. Overtones of oranges, grapefruit, and pine can be detected in this beer. If you are used to American IPA's, then the slightly bitter finish will not surprise you. To be honest I was pretty disappointed in this beer, and it is probably one of my least favorite IPA's. It has a strange smell, and not a whole lot of bite. I would also recommend shaking the beer before you open it, as it re-ferments in the bottle. Recommendations: 1) Seriously consider another IPA, 2) If you do get this one, drink with a hot, salty pretzel. 

Beer #42 - Sapporo Premium Beer

Style: Japanese Rice Lager Purchased at: Sakura Japanese Steakhouse & World Market What makes this beer different: Japanese Will I be drinking this again: Yup Grade: C+ Comments: This brew is a carbonated, frothy, medium bodied lager with a dry finish and possesses hints of bitter hops  Beer pours egg yolk yellow with a creamy white head; sweet malts and soft grains lie in the undertones of this subtle smelling lager. Unfortunately nothing really sets this beer apart from the crowd, other than it being a Japanese Lager. Don't get me wrong, it is very good and quite drinkable! It just isn't a game changer for me, which is why my score isn't higher. Go out and give this one a try, it is definitely worth it ... ESPECIALLY for my light beer lovers out there! Recommendations: Pair with Shrimp Tempura and Edamame Soy Beans is perfect!